Thursday, June 11, 2009

Chicken Tortellini Bake


I love creamy pasta casseroles, there is not a greater feeling in the world than having dinner in the oven by 5:30 and having that extra hour to fold laundry, play with kids or whatever else needs to be done. I always feel like I am cheating time with that extra hour. This is a definite kid pleasing meal, Lance has become very picky the last few months and I even got the comment "mmm, mommy it's good" from him of course he only ate four bites and then claimed he was full but that besides the point it really was good!
Chicken Tortellini Bake
16 oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
1 T oil
2 cups chopped chicken
3 green onions finely chopped
2 T flour
8 oz chicken broth
8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 cup sour cream
8 oz shredded cheese, very versatile use whatever you have on hand I used cheddar, Monterrey jack would be great though!
Bring water to a boil and cook tortellini according to package.
Heat oil in large skilled over medium heat and brown chicken 1-2 minutes add mushrooms and onions and cook until chicken is done.
Sprinkle with flour and pour in broth, stirring to combine for 1-2 minutes.
Add sour cream, remove from heat.
Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray, pour tortellini into the bottom, sprinkle with 1 cup cheese, pour chicken sauce over the top and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
Bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes until bubbly.
I served with a green salad mixed with shredded cheese and craisins and a poppy seed dressing, loved it!
By Jenny

2 comments: